I made these Low Carb Savoury Seeded Crackers after buying something similar from a local Farmers Market. After trying them I thought about making them myself. There were I think 12 crackers in the box and the cost – $10.00!
The bought crackers were a little higher in carbs but still doable. It was good to see also that the owner/maker of these crackers had gone to the trouble and expense, (I’m starting to see where my $10.00 went), of packaging them in biodegradable sealed plastic on the inside of the box which was also recyclable.
No wait, I’ve just found the box and there were 3 serves of five crackers so my money is looking better spent.
These crackers are choc full of good, healthy seeds, there is no flour of any kind, no nuts, eggs or dairy. That makes them a goer for almost everyone I guess unless you have an allergy to the seeds used.
If you want to add more protein into these, try sprinkling some Savoury Yeast over the top before going in the oven or, for some antioxidant power to help with sore arthritic joints, add a sprinkle of Tumeric powder over the top. Here are some that I sprinkled both savoury yeast and tumeric on top. This has added a lot more flavor to the crackers as well.
Ingredients – (24 crackers)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed
- 1/3 cup flax (linseed)
- 1/3 cup sesame seed
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seed
- 1/4 cup chia seed (black or white or mixed to = 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (sea salt or Himalayan pink rock salt)
- 1 teaspoon course black pepper
- 1 cup of water
Getting it altogether
- Heat oven to 200 Celsius.
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl except the cup of water and mix well.
- Take out 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of the seeds, place them in a blender and blend until fine.
- Return the now blended mixture of seeds back to the bowl and mix in thoroughly.
- Add the cup of water and mix well.
- Let this mixture sit for about 10 minutes allowing the seeds to absorb the water.
- Line a shallow, rectangular baking tin 10″ x 14″ (25 x 35cm) with some baking paper.
- Spread the rested cracker mixture out with a spatula evenly about 1/8″ or 3mm thick , even thinner if you prefer. Spread onto the baking paper.
- cut lines into the mixture to equal 24 crackers.
- Place in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- When they are baked bring them out and let cool on a rack for around 10 minutes before storing otherwise they may lose their crunch.
- You might need to cut through your lines to separate the crackers from each other once they have cooled.
They will last up to a couple of weeks in an airtight container at room temperature.
Totals per cracker…